Your engagement session is actually the most important part of your wedding photography experience because it allows us to really get to know one another AND it allows the bride and groom to get familiar with the way that I work! This is SO important because this is the SECRET to creating a ton of gorgeous, genuine portraits on your wedding day! Once we are done with your engagement session, you will BOTH be pros at this!
As you prepare for your engagement session, here are some resources and pieces of advice that will come in handy! :
- CLEAN YOUR RING! : I will be photographing your gorgeous diamond! This means that this would be a perfect opportunity to have your ring cleaned so that it’s clear of dirt and build up that may be visible through my lens!
- HAIR & MAKEUP: Splurge a little! If you were considering getting your hair and makeup done, this is the perfect opportunity to treat yourself! You will cherish these images forever and so investing in professional hair and makeup can be an extra fun way to celebrate the occasion and allow you to be extra confident during your shoot! Tip: If you’re worried about looking tired or just want a little something special for your portraits, getting false lashes make the most impact in portraits! There are all types of lashes that range from looking completely natural to looking like Beyoncé! I would lean towards the natural end of the spectrum! 🙂
- THE TIMELINE: I am always a few minutes early to engagement sessions so that I can scope out the location and find light that will be flattering for my couples! Because I can only shoot until the sun is set, I recommend leaving 15-20 minutes earlier than you originally planned just to be safe!
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH! : Engagement sessions can be nerve wracking for some couples and normally the first 20 minutes is a little awkward but I PROMISE after that first few minutes the nerves start to wear off and you will get more comfortable in front of the camera. I promise to guide you through posing the entire time, so don’t worry!
I recommend a maximum of 2 outfits for your engagement session to ensure that we have plenty of time to capture both looks before sunset! When you change into your second outfit, I will photograph your rings while I wait!
– COLORS: Neutrals such as blush, tans, light pinks, faint blues, creams, grays and whites will always result in more of a light and airy look to your images. These colors photograph softer and more romantically! Note: these are NOT the only colors that you can wear, just a few suggestions on colors that photograph well.
– Ladies, if you’re really looking for a soft, feminine look, I recommend a flowing, maxi-length dress or skirt! The movement of this type of fabric photographs beautifully!
– I recommend a more formal outfit and a more casual one so that you have plenty of variety to choose from later!
– The goal is to COORDINATE instead of MATCHING! I also recommend avoiding both of you wearing WHITE as a top. This won’t allow for any contrast in your images.
– Guys, I recommend that you avoid patterns that are smaller than a dime! These small patterns can create strange visual effects in a digital camera. Close-toed shoes photograph well and we recommend avoiding graphic tees and tennis shoes!
– Ladies, I recommend that you wear something that flatters the parts of you that you love the most and also allows you to be extremely confident! If you are uncomfortable when you look in the mirror (having to suck in and only like the way you look from one angle), then that probably isn’t the best outfit choice for you. We want you to be so confident in your outfit because we know that you will love your portraits so much more if you’re not worrying about how your clothes fit!
Below is my first engagement shoot I ever did from 2017 and still one of my favorites so I had to post a couple favorites. Kimmi and Eric are stunning and I just love them!